Lürding Carpentry Workshop from Andorf
Lürding Carpentry Workshop from Andorf (Osnabrück County), built in 1840. Re-constructed at the open-air museum in 1985.
A new existence
Migration to America was a wink of fate for Carpenter Johann Heinrich Lürding (1786-1859), who had previously resided in a tenement according to a lease. He was then able to purchase a nine-hectare farm from an emigrant and build his workshop and warehouse on his land. Stalls and barns for agricultural business were also built, however carpentry continued to remain the core of his professional activity.
Skill in the architectural trade
Johann Heinrich Lürding’s three sons apprenticed with their father and learned carpentry, however soon took advantage of the options for advancement of the period. Thus, the Lürding family history reflected the opportunities for advancement of the new period. Hermann Heinrich, who had been born in 1821, acquired the capability and right to build a public structure in Osnabrück, an opportunity that his father could not have dreamed of. The uncle also continued the line: like his father, Johann Hermann Lürding (1856-1933) first learned his parent’s business, then studied at the architectural school in Holzminden and took up the profession of architect.